BIT OF HISTORY.
Nehru was given a watch as a gift on his trip to Switzerland. Nehru, a man of scientific temperament, came back to India and asked if we could manufacture similar watches for common people. For him, the timepiece meant the way of introducing discipline in daily life. The result was the famous HMT watches.
The first HMT watch was manufactured in 1961 in Bangalore in collaboration with Citizen Japan. It quickly became popular and a status symbol of the common people. Over the years vintage design is still preserved
The famous watches in HMT
1. It was the watch DAD would give his son on passing 10th
2. It was Smt. Indira Gandhi's Favourite due to its simplicity
1. The watch a guy would buy with his first salary
2. It was a favourite among the armed forces
1. HMT Kanchan was a watch that was a mandatory gift for the Groom during the marriage.
2. It was so popular that, people used to take a recommendation letter from the minister to possess watches.
When the markets opened in 90's HMT was not able to compete with a variety of new watches brought into the marked by Titan and other manufacturers. After making the loss over the years, HMT was shut down in 2016.
Once it closed, there was a huge demand, especially by collectors. To meet the demand, old stocks were assembled and sold online and at few HMT stores. You may still find some specimens online.